Search This Blog

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
















This dish is the result after many failures. It is well worth the effort. I am now very pleased as it is one of the most aromatic biryani I have tasted. I use the Kohinoor basmati rice, which is my favourite. It has excellent texture and is very silky.

Initially, I tried the kachchi approach, where the marinated chicken is covered with half cooked basmati rice and cook on very low and slow heat (dum) until completely done. Even with a thick base steel casserole, it did not help as the meat was burnt at the bottom. The Pakki approach is easier to control as you cook the chicken completely, then layer the half-cooked rice and finish it on slow heat. I decided to try the middle way, where the half-cooked meat is layered with half-cooked rice, and it has worked very well with a cast iron casserole.

I have added or substituted some of the spices from the original Hyderabadi recipe, with those more commonly found in South East Asia. Who says only Indians can cook a good biryani?

No comments:

Post a Comment